Global Leadership Certificate
Show your world leading potential.
Enhance your WSU degree and workforce marketability with a Global Leadership Certificate.
International Programs offers the Global Leadership Certificate in partnership with the University College. The certificate is structured around coursework and co-curricular experiences that empower students to analyze, adapt, communicate, problem-solve and empathize in a variety of professional and personal networks.
In the Global Leadership Certificate program, you will engage in courses and activities dedicated to intercultural learning and leadership skills.
From your engagement in the certificate program, you will be empowered with the knowledge and experience to collaborate with individuals and organizations across cultural backgrounds.
- Understand community and global issues to effect positive and sustainable change
- Lead diverse groups dealing with global challenges including sustainability and community development
- Collaborate with individuals and organizations across cultural backgrounds
Program of Study
Students in every major and from all colleges are welcome to participate in the Global Leadership Certificate program.
You will work directly with the Director of Global Learning to create a course plan tailored to your education goals and requirements.
- 12 credits of academic coursework with global perspectives.
- Leadership Development, 1CR
- Learn the foundations of leadership, engage others in the community and understand intercultural group dynamics.
- Experiential Learning, 1CR
- This can be fulfilled through local/global immersion projects, education abroad, service learning, and on-campus, co-curricular activities such as the "Leadership Adventures" programming.
- Integrative Capstone Project, 1CR
- The capstone project will allow you the opportunity to consider a variety of questions and issues related to the manner in which local and global forces impact your personal and professional lives.
Certificate requirements are constructed to collectively meet the following objectives and competency areas with a unifying interdependent perspective in relation to globalization and civic leadership:
Intercultural Understanding and Communication
- Understands culture in a comparative context; recognizes that perceptions and behaviors may be based in cultural differences; accepts cultural differences and cultural ambiguity.
- Applies cross-cultural thinking, diverse cultural frames of reference and alternative perspectives to think critically, solve problems and evaluate sources and information
- Collaborates with individuals and organizations across cultural backgrounds
Civic Engagement/Global Citizenship
- Demonstrates knowledge of community and global issues, processes, trends, and systems and the interdependent connections
- Engages with complex issues, local and global, to contribute to communities and to effect positive and sustain able change
- Adapts academic/professional concepts and practices to different socio-political, geographic, and economic and cultural contexts
Leadership in a Global Context
- Understand foundational leadership strategies and theoretical frameworks including the ethics involved in global challenges such as sustainability and community development
- Increase self-awareness through the exploration of values, beliefs, culture and identity
- Understands the basics of group roles and dynamics, debriefing and reflection skills, and decision-making for the purposes of functioning in group settings