Washington State University

International Programs

Global Services

International Student Employment

"Employment" is any work performed or services provided (including self-employment) in exchange for money or other benefits or compensation (i.e. free room and board in exchange for babysitting).


Information about Social Security

It is essential that you understand and comply with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) restrictive employment regulations. 

You must obtain appropriate employment authorization before you engage in any type of employment.

Ignorance of the regulations does not excuse a student from the serious ramifications of unauthorized employment, which may result in deportation.

F-1 Students

J-1 Students

Employment Regulations

DHS does NOT permit individuals in F-2/J-2 status to be employed under ANY conditions.

Employment is defined as the rendering of services, part- or full-time, for financial or other compensation, including self-employment.

Office of International Programs

International Programs, PO Box 645121, Washington State University, Pullman WA 99164-5121, 509-335-2541, Contact Us