Washington State University

International Programs

F-1 Students

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows eligible F-1 students to engage in paid internship/employment which is related to and is an integral part of the major field of study.



when to Apply


CPT is authorized by advisors in Global Services, not the government.

  • CPT employment must be a supervised, temporary position.
  • CPT can be authorized for part-time (less than 20 hours per week) or full-time (more than 20 hours per week).


You must meet ALL of the following requirements:

  • Be in lawful F-1 status and have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for at least one full academic year prior to the proposed CPT start date. (Graduate students enrolled in a program which requires immediate participation in CPT are exempted from this requirement.)
  • Be majoring in a field of study which has internship/research credits available for the proposed internship/employment.
  • Have a job offer.

back to top


Step 1

Read the CPT eligibility chart Contact an Global Services advisor and/or your academic advisor, if you are still unsure whether or not you are eligible

Step 2

After determining that you are eligibility, download the application packet

Step 3

Have your Academic Advisor complete the Academic Advisor Recommendation form.

Have your employer complete the Employment Confirmation form or write a letter verifying your CPT job (letter must specify a start and end date). Drop off the above forms at Global Services in Bryan 108.

Step 4

After Global Services authorizes your CPT in SEVIS, you will be contacted to pick up a new I-20.

Step 5

You are authorized to be employed only at the employer and for the period specified on Page 3 of your new I-20.

back to top

When to Apply

You must apply and be authorized for CPT in advance.

Allow up to 7 business days for CPT processing after you submit the application materials to Global Services.

back to top


  • 12 or more months of full-time CPT makes you ineligible for post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) at the same educational level.
  • Part-time CPT does not affect your eligibility for post-completion OPT; however, you must continue full-time enrollment while doing part-time CPT unless you working during the summer vacation.
  • You must obtain a new authorization in advance if you wish to change employers or extend your CPT.

back to top

Office of International Programs

International Programs, PO Box 645121, Washington State University, Pullman WA 99164-5121, 509-335-2541, Contact Us