Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Future International Students

Orientation and Advising

The orientation program will help you meet friends, find your way around campus, and get ready for your classes at WSU.

All incoming students are required to attend an orientation program on campus to register for classes.

Placement Exams


The writing placement exam will enable your advisor to place you in the first-year writing course most appropriate for your ability.

If you have received equivalent credit for English 101 through college transfer or the Advanced Placement (AP) test in English, you do not need to take the writing placement exam. Honors College students do not need to take the exam.

The writing placement exam is offered online and must be completed at least 1 week before your orientation date.


The math placement assessment is an online exam designed to place you in an appropriate-level mathematics course.

All new students are required to take the test. (Students with college-level math credit may be exempt.)

The testing fee includes a 6-week review module, access to the exam, and up to 4 retakes. If you take the test more than once, WSU will use your best score.

Orientation Sign Up

You must attend orientation to register for classes. Orientation programs are offered on several dates throughout the summer and fall. In addition to the New Coug Orientation, all international students are required to attend an international tutorial program presented by the Office of International Programs. The orientation and tutorial are usually held at the beginning of the fall and spring terms, prior to the start of the fall and spring programs. Please remember you must sign up for both the New Coug session and the International Tutorial Program. Choose the events and dates that fit you best. Make sure your travel arrangements allow you to attend the sessions.

All international undergraduate and graduate students will be charged a nonrefundable $50 international student orientation/tutorial fee after course registration. The fee will be charged to your WSU account and can be paid along with your tuition through myWSU.


Non-Degree/Exchange Students

This orientation is offered by the Office of International Programs International Student and Scholar Services department.


Mandatory Tutorial Information and Registration

Tutorial Schedule

If your student status is:Undergraduate FoundationAll Undergraduate Direct Entry, Exchange, and TransfersInternational Master'sAll GraduateAcademic English and late-arriving International Master's and Undergraduate Foundation
On this date and time:Wednesday
Jan. 4
10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Jan. 4
10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Jan. 5
10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Jan. 5
10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Jan. 6
10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Be at this place:
Bryan Hall foyerBryan Hall foyerBryan Hall foyerBryan Hall foyerDaggy Hall

Tutorial Information

Undergraduate students Graduate students

Transfer Students

University Writing Portfolio

All WSU students are required to submit 3 samples of their college writing or complete a timed write once they complete 60 semester credits.

Writing samples can come from any college course—so keep your papers!

The University writing portfolio evaluates your readiness for the demands of writing-intensive upper-division courses in your major. And if your writing skills need more work, it helps your advisors connect you with the help you need.

Transfer Credit

If you have attended college or university outside the United States, we recommend that you bring course descriptions and syllabi (translated into English) with you. This will help us identify equivalent WSU courses for transfer credit.

If You Have Attended College in the United States

Use our transfer equivalency database to find WSU courses that are equivalent to your transfer courses.

If you have earned an associate’s degree in the United States, you may be able to transfer to WSU with credit for the University Common Core (UCORE) general education requirements. Some degrees can transfer directly into junior standing at WSU.

Transferring an associate’s degree to WSU

College Credit Earned in Washington

If you have attended college in the State of Washington, or if you plan to do so, the “Washington 45” agreement makes it easy for you to transfer pre-approved first-year courses from one college to another in the State of Washington.

/* ============= UNIBUDDY ====================*/