Learn the English language skills and academic skills needed to study successfully at U.S. universities and colleges.
The Academic English program at INTO Washington State University is an accredited, academic preparation Intensive English Program.
Academic English Mission
- Provide high-quality intensive English language instruction in a supportive, respectful atmosphere to help students meet their academic, personal, and professional goals
- Prepare students academically and culturally and support their successful navigation in university life through Academic English and pathways
- Help facilitate the internationalization of the Washington State University system and its communities
The main program offers 6 levels of language instruction, from beginning to high advanced.
- Low Intermediate
- High Intermediate
- Advanced – Undergraduate study preparation (meets WSU language proficiency requirement for undergraduate admission)
- High Advanced – Graduate study preparation (meets WSU language proficiency requirement for graduate study)
Classes typically run from Monday mornings through Friday afternoons. You are expected to attend class and participate. There are 15 students or fewer in each class. Students come from all over the world. We speak only English in class.
Your classes and teachers’ offices are all located in the same building. You will receive individual attention and instruction from our teachers. Residence halls, apartments, and restaurants are a 5-10 minute walk from our building. We regularly offer social and cultural activities to prepare you for life in the United States and at Washington State University. You are welcome here.
Instruction focuses on building the speaking, listening, and writing skills that are essential to academic success.
Academic English consists of 18 hours of instruction per week. This means each student will take 18 core hours at each level.
- Research Writing
- Academic Listening and Discussion
We offer many field trips and events to help you fully experience life in the United States.
Completion of Levels 5 and 6 may be used instead of TOEFL scores for admission to WSU.
- Advanced (Level 5) meets the language proficiency requirement to enter WSU as an undergraduate
- High advanced (Level 6) meets the language proficiency requirement for entry to WSU’s Graduate School
WSU offers several computer labs equipped with personal computer workstations and plenty of study space.
Students are welcome to use the lab’s computers for virtually any purpose. The labs provide ideal places to write papers for classes, communicate with friends and family at home, listen to music, or watch videos.
If your English ability is preventing you from being successful in your classes or your research at WSU, the Language Support Program can help.
International students at WSU who want additional language support (and who are not on appointment in their department) can take courses at INTO WSU and still maintain their full-time status.
Language Support Program students must be enrolled full time at WSU, but you can enroll in language support courses for up to 50 percent of your required load. For more information or to apply, please email us.