Skip to main content Skip to navigation
International On Campus

Transferring Out of WSU

You can transfer directly from WSU to another U.S. college or university if you must have maintained lawful F-1 status throughout your program of study.

Visa Status

Graduating and Beginning a New Program of Study

You have 60 days to transfer your immigration status after successfully completing your current program of study or Optional Practical Training.

Transferring before you Complete Your Program of Study

Before your last day of attendance at WSU, request a transfer from Global Services. (See step 2 below.) Your advisor in Global Services can identify the transfer release date: the point when WSU transfers your SEVIS record to your new school.

You must begin your study at the new school in the next available regular academic term, and no later than 5 months after the date of your last attendance at WSU.

Transfer Procedure

To transfer to another U.S. school, you must first be admitted to that school as a new student. Afterward, follow these steps.


Meet with a Global Services advisor to discuss your transfer plan.
Your advisor in the Global Services office can help you complete the necessary forms and navigate the transfer process.


Log in to myPassport and complete the transfer-out request.


After receiving the transfer-out form and supporting documents, WSU will release your SEVIS record to your new school. The SEVIS release will occur after your last date of attendance at WSU.


Your new school will create a new I-20 after the SEVIS record has been transferred.

Your new school may ask you to complete a transfer clearance form. In this case, a WSU Global Services advisor must sign the form before you are issued a new I-20.

Traveling Outside the United States

If you are going to travel outside the United States after leaving WSU, you must re-enter the country with the I-20 you obtain from your new school.

If your SEVIS record has been released to the new school, your WSU I-20 and travel endorsement will be invalid.

When reentering the United States with a “transfer pending” I-20 from your new school, you can use a valid F-1 visa issued for attendance at WSU or previous school.

Washington State University