To be eligible for CPT, you must meet ALL of the following conditions:
- In lawful F-1 status
- Enrolled full-time at WSU in a degree-seeking program for 1 full academic year before your proposed CPT start date (If you are a graduate student enrolled in a program that requires immediate participation in CPT, you are exempted from this requirement)
- Continuing your enrollment as a student during your CPT (full-time CPT may count as a full course of study)
- Majoring in a field of study that has internship/off-campus research credits as part of the established curriculum
- Offered a job
Academic Enrollment Requirement
You must enroll in academic credits for each term in which you participate in CPT. This includes the summer term.
- Undergraduate students: 1 credit minimum per semester of CPT internship. HBM students should speak to a Global Services advisor regarding this policy
- Graduate students: 2 credit minimum per semester of CPT internship, research, or thesis work, with the exception of summer, when only 1 credit enrollment is required
Not Eligible for CPT?
If you are not eligible for CPT, you may be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT). Talk with an International Student and Scholar Services advisor about OPT opportunities.
Advisors in the WSU Office of International Programs authorize CPT, not the U.S. government. You must apply and receive authorization before starting CPT. Once you submit your application to International Student and Scholar Services, allow up to 7 business days for it to be processed.
Check that You Meet All Eligibility Criteria
Speak with your academic advisor to determine if there is an internship option built into your curriculum. If you are a graduate student needing to do research off campus, work with an advisor to determine the type of job needed to meet research requirements.
Once you have established there is a curricular connection for an internship, please speak with an International Student and Scholar Services advisor.
Finally, find an internship!
Complete and Submit the Forms in myPassport
Once you have established curricular necessity for internship, spoken with an International Student and Scholar Services advisor, and found an internship, you can begin the CPT application process.
Have your employer complete the Employment Confirmation form or write a letter verifying your CPT job. You may submit a job offer letter instead of the employment confirmation form as long as the letter includes all the information requested on the confirmation form.
Submit a CPT request in myPassport. Upon submission, your advisor will be asked to provide documentation explaining how this internship is part of your program of study.
Pick up a New I-20
After you submit a complete packet, an international student advisor will review your request and will contact you by email with any additional questions or with the decision on your application. If your request is approved, International Student and Scholar Services will contact you by email to inform you that an updated I-20 is ready for pick up.
Start Your CPT
You have authorization to work only at the employer and for the period specified on Page 2 of your new I-20. If you wish to change employers or extend your CPT, you must obtain a new authorization in advance.