Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University
International On Campus

J-1 Student Internships

If you are a student or recent graduate of a college or university outside the United States, you may complete an internship in the United States to gain exposure to American culture and business practices in your field.

An internship can help you build knowledge and competencies through classroom training, seminars and conferences, work-related training, and more.

Washington State University can host you as an intern for up to 12 months.

Occupational Categories

The U.S. Department of State allows you to pursue internships in the following occupational categories:

  • Agriculture, Forestry, and Fishing
  • Arts and Culture
  • Construction and Building Trades
  • Education, Social Sciences, Library Science, Counseling, and Social Services
  • Health-Related Occupations
  • Hospitality and Tourism
  • Information Media and Communications
  • Management, Business, Commerce, and Finance
  • Public Administration and Law
  • The Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics, and Industrial Occupations

Contact WSU Office of International Programs International Student and Scholar Services or individual academic departments to inquire about specific opportunities in your chosen field.


As an intern, you are prohibited from working in certain types of positions:

  • Unskilled or casual labor
  • Childcare or elder care
  • Medical patient care or contact
  • Positions that require more than 20 percent clerical or office support work

Program Requirements

J-1 Visa

You will need a valid J-1 visa for the duration of your internship.

Medical Insurance

For the duration of your internship, you and your J-2 dependents must maintain adequate medical insurance coverage.

2-Year Foreign Residence

If you have a J-1 visa, you are required to return to your home country for at least 2 years at the end of your exchange visitor program.

More about the 2-year requirement