The U.S. Department of State allows you to pursue internships in the following occupational categories:
- Agriculture, Forestry, and Fishing
- Arts and Culture
- Construction and Building Trades
- Education, Social Sciences, Library Science, Counseling, and Social Services
- Health-Related Occupations
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Information Media and Communications
- Management, Business, Commerce, and Finance
- Public Administration and Law
- The Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics, and Industrial Occupations
Contact WSU Office of International Programs International Student and Scholar Services or individual academic departments to inquire about specific opportunities in your chosen field.
As an intern, you are prohibited from working in certain types of positions:
- Unskilled or casual labor
- Childcare or elder care
- Medical patient care or contact
- Positions that require more than 20 percent clerical or office support work
You will need a valid J-1 visa for the duration of your internship.
For the duration of your internship, you and your J-2 dependents must maintain adequate medical insurance coverage.
2-Year Foreign Residence
If you have a J-1 visa, you are required to return to your home country for at least 2 years at the end of your exchange visitor program.