Skip to main content Skip to navigation
International On Campus

Processing, Timelines, Fees

H-1B Processing Steps

If you are seeking sponsorship from WSU for H-1B status, follow the steps below.

You may begin employment only after WSU receives your documents from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and completes your Form I-9 (employment authorization).


Search for a Suitable Faculty Position

Check job openings in your specialty occupation or contact an academic department directly.

The hiring unit contacts Global Services if it decides to offer you a job. Global Services must process all petitions for employment at WSU.


The hiring unit makes a request to Global Services 6 months or more before your proposed employment start date.

Expedited processing: Make the request at least 3 months before your proposed employment start date. An additional $1,225 USCIS filing fee applies (your employer should pay this).


Accept a Job Offer

Global Services determines whether the offered position meets H-1B specialty occupation requirements. It also checks that you have met all H-1B eligibility criteria.

Global Services will send the hiring unit instructions how to make an H-1B request. The hiring unit must initiate the request. (As a foreign national, you cannot.)


Follow Instructions Emailed to You from WSU International Programs Global Services

Global Services emails you and the hiring unit step-by-step detailed instructions regarding:

  • Processing timelines
  • Procedures
  • Costs (the hiring unit pays relevant H-1B costs)
  • Required documents
  • H-1B visa application
  • H-1B border entry


The hiring unit requests a wage determination from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). A response can take 6 to 8 weeks. No expedited processing is available.
Then the hiring unit must post a Labor Condition Application (LCA) notice for 10 days and file the application with DOL. A response can take 7 or more business days. No expedited processing is available.


Await Notification about Next Steps

WSU International Programs Global Services will contact you.

Global Services files the H-1B petition with USCIS, using overnight mail. It notifies you and the hiring unit immediately when any of the following is received:

  • Receipt notice
  • Request for evidence
  • Approval notice

Global Services communicates next steps to you and the hiring unit.


Dependent Filing Fee Paid by H-1B Applicant

The USCIS charges a $290 filing fee to change or extend status of H-4 dependents, regardless of the number of dependents. You, the H-1B beneficiary, must pay this fee.

Your check should be made payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. A personal check is acceptable.

Fees Paid by Employer

For each H-1B petition, your employer pays these fees to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

  • $460 – Form I-129 Filing Fee
    Charged to all H-1B petitions (change of status, change of employer, extension, amendment and concurrent employment)
  • $500 – Fraud Prevention and Detection Fee
    Charged only to a U.S. employer’s initial H-1B petition (change of status, change of employer, and concurrent employment). Does not apply to an H-1B extension or amendment petition.
  • $1,410 – Optional Premium Processing Fee

Office of International Programs

The WSU Office of International Programs will charge the WSU hiring unit a $500 scholar service fee for your H-1B petition.


If You Have Questions about H-1B Employment at WSU

Contact Global Services

We are ready to help.

Due to the complexity of certain cases, the Office of International Programs may be unable to provide immigration advice and services in every instance. In that event, we will recommend that you seek legal counsel from a reputable immigration attorney.

If you have general questions about H-1B visa requirements or H-1B sponsorship by an employer other than WSU, please check with an immigration attorney or your H-1B employer.

Washington State University