Skip to main content Skip to navigation
International On Campus


Leaving WSU

At some point, you will choose to leave WSU. If you are an F-1 or J-1 student, your departure might be for any of the following reasons:

  • You Have Completed Your Academic Program
  • You Have Cancelled Your Enrollment
  • You Plan to Transfer to another School or Program

Whatever your reason, be sure to follow the proper procedures for departure, detailed below.

Before you Go

Notify Global Services

Complete the International Student Departure Notification form. The information you provide will help Global Services update your record accurately.

Meet With an Advisor

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires that you notify an advisor of your early withdrawal. Before you submit your cancellation request, schedule an appointment with the international student advisor for your location:


Pullman and online
Global Services Department
Kristie Brink
Erika Kraus
Caitlyn Schock
North Puget Sound at Everett
Pam Loughlin


If you have submitted your cancellation request to the Registrar without contacting your international student advisor, schedule an appointment with an advisor immediately.

Failure to discuss your situation with an international student advisor may result in closure to your immigration record for an unauthorized withdrawal.

Do you Plan to Return?

If you intend to return to WSU in the future, be sure you are familiar with policies governing a leave of absence.

When you Depart

If you Have Completed Your Academic Program

If you have completed your academic program, your options include:

If you are Canceling Enrollment

Canceling your enrollment affects your immigration status.

Once you have submitted your cancellation request to the WSU Registrar and it has been approved, you have 15 calendar days to depart from the United States.

Exceptions that allow you to stay in the United States after enrollment cancellation

Meet with an advisor to verify your eligibility for one of the following exceptions.

  • Reduced course load authorization
    You must obtain this authorization from your international student advisor for medical reasons.
  • Summer Session enrollment cancellation for continuing students
    You are a continuing student if you were enrolled in spring semester and plan to continue enrollment in fall semester. Summer enrollment is optional for continuing students. You are allowed to cancel your Summer Session enrollment and remain in the United States during summer as long as you intend to enroll at WSU in the fall semester.
How to cancel enrollment after the semester has begun

First, meet with your international student advisor. After that meeting has occurred, complete a cancellation form.

If you are transferring to another school

If you plan to transfer to another school or program within the United States, follow the transfer procedures.

Washington State University