Your family can accompany you while you pursue a program of study, research, or teaching in the United States.
Your spouse and dependent children (unmarried children under 21) may enter the United States with a J-2 visa. If your family members wish to visit the United States as tourists, they will need to apply for a B-2 visitor visa. It is customary for a student to write a letter of invitation for his/her family members.
How to Apply for a J-2 Visa
If you are a J-1 student and your program sponsor is not WSU, please contact your program sponsor directly to inquire about bringing dependents.
If WSU is your sponsor, follow the steps below.
Submit the following documents to WSU Office of International Programs:
- Completed request for DS-2019 for J-1 Students
- Financial documentation (e.g. bank statement, proof of graduate assistantship, letter from employer or sponsor, etc.)
Whether you decide to bring your family members with you at the time of your initial entry or at a later time, you are required to show evidence of adequate financial support for each dependent. The additional amount of financial support you must show for each J-2 dependent is shown at the bottom of the annual List of Estimated Expenses (pdf).
Send documents to:
Office of International Programs
Washington State University
Bryan Hall 108
Pullman, WA 99164-5110
WSU will add your dependent(s) to your SEVIS record. Then we will issue a new DS-2019 to you and each of your accompanying dependents.
Provide your dependents with the following documents for visa application.
- Your dependents’ J-2 Form DS-2019 (original)
- Your new DS-2019 (copy)
- Your passport biographical page (copy)
- Your J-1 visa stamp (copy)
- Your I-94 card (copy of front and back side)
- Financial documentation (e.g. bank statement, proof of graduate assistantship, letter from employer or sponsor)
- Your letter of invitation
- Visa support letter from Global Services (optional)
Your dependents should contact their local U.S. Embassy/Consular Office and follow the procedures for J-2 visa application.
Check in with WSU upon Arrival
When your dependents arrive in Pullman, have them check in at Global Services and provide a copy of each dependent’s immigration documents and proof of insurance.