Congratulations on your acceptance to Washington State University. We welcome you to the WSU family and look forward to assisting you. All incoming students (first-year and transfer) must complete a tutorial program and an immigration check-in.
Prepare for your arrival at WSU Pullman
During the required WSU New Coug Orientation and the International Student Tutorial on WSU’s Pullman campus, you will have the opportunity to familiarize yourself with the campus, identify academic resources, and complete immigration requirements. To maintain your F-1/J-1 nonimmigrant status, you must complete our 2-part check-in process.
When you arrive
1. Orientation and tutorial
Attend the New Coug Orientation and International Student Tutorial to meet orientation requirements. Failure to attend will keep you from being able to register for classes. The Tutorial will help you get ready for your journey at WSU the best way possible. It has 2 required parts:
- The virtual Canvas course
- You will be enrolled in and take a self-paced WSU Canvas course. You will need to watch several short, required videos and complete quizzes as you prepare to join WSU. This information will help you prepare for the face-to-face tutorial and New Coug Orientation when you get here. Log in to WSU Canvas here to get started: canvas.wsu.edu.
- The live (face-to-face or online via Zoom) tutorial when you arrive at WSU that is designed just for you
- The schedule will indicate the date of your tutorial. Plan your arrival time to attend the required tutorial. The tutorial will provide you with important information about meeting your basic needs such as housing, help you make connections and build friends, and teach you more about academic preparedness, social identity, campus engagement, how WSU can support you, and more!
All international undergraduate students will be charged a one-time nonrefundable $50 fee after the live tutorial. The fee will be charged to your WSU account and can be paid along with your tuition through myWSU.
2. Get started on campus
Once you arrive on campus, our International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) team will provide information about uploading your immigration documents to myPassport.
You should upload these documents within 3 days of your orientation check-in.
- Biographical passport page
- F-1/J-1 visa or I-797 notice for change of status approved
- Port of entry stamp from most recent entry into the United States (if applicable)
- I-94 document
Complete the remaining items:
- Make an appointment with the International Programs fiscal team (sponsored students only)
- Submit your immunization record for a Measles Hold (if applicable) to Cougar Health Services
- Meet with your academic advisor to plan your schedule (can be completed at the New Coug Orientation)
- Obtain a Cougar Card at the Compton Union Building (can be completed at orientation)
- Provide emergency contact information
- Summer arrivals: Check your email for an invitation to the summer immigration presentation
Q. Undergraduate students only: Do you want to get picked up from the Pullman, Washington, airport? We can’t wait to see you!
A. Be sure to let us know when to pick you up from the airport!
Q. Get ready to live where you study. Need help with housing?
A. We will inform you of the date and time student housing will open for move-in.
Q. Questions about vaccinations? We’ll take care of you!
A. You do not have to be vaccinated to come to WSU. You do not have to quarantine upon arrival. But that can change. See the link below to find the most current information about vaccination requirements, including for COVID.
Q. Ready to get involved and make friends who become family?
A. We encourage international undergraduate students to consider joining the International Students’ Council.
On-campus resources for new international students
International Programs – International Student and Scholar Services
Our department assists international students through knowledge and expertise in immigration advising.
The International Center is your campus living room—a comfortable place where international students and friends gather to relax, socialize, and study.
New student programs
New Coug Orientation facilitates new students in the transition to life at WSU by offering comprehensive orientation programming.
Week of Welcome is a week-long event that combines academic, educational, developmental, and social programming to provide a solid foundation for new and returning students.
For WSU students NOT attending the Pullman campus
As a student at WSU Everett, Spokane, Tri-Cities, Vancouver, research, or extension, you will be enrolled in and required to complete the international student tutorial Canvas course prior to the start of the semester. You will also receive an email with information about a required immigration presentation over Zoom.
- Nitivia Jones, DSO: email@example.com