International New Student Checklist

If you have not yet accepted your offer of admission by paying the US$200 enrollment deposit, please do that as soon as possible.

Pay your US$200 enrollment deposit if you have not paid already

Submit your Certificate of Finances form

Select, fill out, and submit the Certificate of Finances form that matches your program.

How to fill out your Certificate of Finances form

How to fill out your Certificate of Finances form.

Submit the supporting bank statement or government sponsorship letter

The name on the supporting financial documents must match the name on your Certificate of Finances form. Bank documents must be dated no more than 6 months prior to submission and all funds must be liquid assets.

Receive your I-20

Use the I-20 to schedule your visa interview at a U.S. Embassy. Make sure to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee before your appointment.  

Prepare for your interview using these 10 tips for a successful interview. Please inform your International New Student Coordinator about the outcome of your visa appointment.

Get complete information on U.S. visa regulations and processes.

WSU uses multi-factor authentication (MFA), a multi-step account login process that requires users to enter more information than just a password. After your admission is confirmed, you will receive an email with instructions to set up your MFA and student accounts. It is essential that you know your WSU username and password for your WSU student (myWSU) account before you arrive to campus. For additional information, please check the SSO Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) page.


Your myWSU account is the central location where you will see your class schedule, pay your tuition, and many more important matters.

WSU email

We know there are many forms of communication in the world. However, at WSU, your WSU email account is the ONLY way to communicate with important offices on campus such as Housing, Bursar’s Office, professors, and more.

If you are having trouble with your login information, please contact your International New Student Coordinator, who will connect you with the appropriate IT person.

Pullman campus is our residential campus. All other campuses require you to live in off-campus housing. At the Pullman campus, all unmarried first-year students under 20 years of age are required to live in a university residence hall for 1 academic year. (Students who completed college-level work in high school are considered first-year students for housing purposes).

Explore the WSU on-campus residence hall and apartment options available!

How to apply for WSU housing

Explore off-campus, non-WSU housing

If you are admitted to the Tri-Cities, Vancouver, Everett, or Spokane campus, contact your International New Student Coordinator for more details.

If you are transferring from an international university, submit your English-language syllabi on our Course Equivalency Evaluation Request Form. This will ensure your credits transfer to WSU in the most helpful way possible toward your degree. Submit your syllabi and this form as early as possible so WSU has enough time to review and update your transfer credits.

New Coug Orientation

All new undergraduate students must complete New Coug Orientation to register for classes. You will complete the pre-orientation modules online before you arrive and attend the in-person Orientation upon arrival. Ask your New Student Coordinator for details if you are not attending the Pullman campus.

Make sure your travel arrangements allow you to attend. Students who are entering the United States may arrive no sooner than 30 days before the start of classes. When registering for orientation, choose the session that falls within this 30-day window.

How to sign up for New Coug Orientation

How to sign up for New Coug Orientation

International Student Tutorial

All international students are required to attend International Student Tutorial and will be automatically registered. You will complete the Canvas course online before you arrive and attend the in-person Tutorial upon arrival.

Placement exams

The university also requires new students to take placement exams in mathematics and writing. You will need to take these exams before you attend New Coug Orientation for your first meeting with your academic advisor. These placement exam scores are needed to accurately place you in first-semester classes.

If you are admitted to the Tri-Cities, Vancouver, Everett, or Spokane campus, contact your International New Student Coordinator for more details.

Cougar Card

Your Cougar Card is your student ID, which allows you to enter your residence hall/room, get food at the dining hall, and have unlimited access to the local bus system.

Upload a passport-style photo for your Cougar Card. Your photo should be taken from the chest up, with no hat, sunglasses, or filters. It does not have to be your official passport photo; a selfie with a plain background is fine.

You will need to provide your vaccination records according to the Cougar Health Services requirements, which can be found on the Patient Portal. If you do not have the required vaccinations, you will have until the end of your first semester to receive them on campus.

As soon as they become available, you will need to submit final, official transcripts showing graduation date and/or degree earned. Ask each school to send official transcripts directly to International Programs. Transcripts sent by you will not be accepted as official.

Read this page to learn specific details about how to send your final, official transcripts.

Transfer credits from another university or Cambridge Exam

You must submit your official transcripts so that we can conduct a transfer credit report. Once your transfer credit report is complete, your academic advisor will be able to help you select appropriate classes during your first term at WSU.


All international students must comply with SEVIS guidelines, which are enforced by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). When arriving to the U.S., please follow Steps 4-6 on the ICE web page. Students who are not physically on campus and enrolled in classes by the end of the first week of classes will have their SEVIS record terminated and will fall out of F-1 visa status.

Tell us exactly when you will arrive

Once you have specific travel plans to the Pullman campus, let our New Student Coordinator know your travel details! WSU offers airport pickup services for the Pullman campus.

Pullman campus

You will need to first fly to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), which will be your port of entry to the United States. From there, campus is just a short 45-minute flight away.

We highly recommend you fly directly into the Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport (PUW). It is just about 3 kilometres away from campus. Airport pick-up services are available for free from PUW to campus.

Another option is the Spokane International Airport (GEG), which is around 125 kilometres from Pullman campus. We do not suggest this, but if you fly to GEG, you will need to find your own transportation from GEG to Pullman. Rental cars are also available at the airport. Greyhound Express and Starline (Wheatland) Express provide transportation between Spokane and Pullman.

Spokane campus

Students admitted to nursing, medical, or pharmacy school on WSU’s Spokane campus should fly into Spokane International Airport (GEG). The airport is approximately 14.5 kilometres from campus. You can find ground transportation services here.

Tri-Cities campus

We recommend flying into Tri-Cities Airport (PSC) in Pasco, Washington. It is about 22 kilometres from campus. You can find ground transportation services here.

Vancouver campus

We recommend flying into Portland International Airport (PDX). It is about 26 kilometres from campus. You can find ground transportation services here.

Packing your essentials

Travel documents and items include:

  • Passport with visa inside
  • Form I-20 (please print a hard copy of your electronic I-20 for travel and immigration purposes)
  • WSU confirmation letter
  • Proof of financial ability

It is important to travel with money! This includes a bank card that is ready to use for international travel or physical money that can be used in the countries you travel through. U.S. dollars are highly preferred, especially upon arrival to the U.S., in case of emergency.

It is important to travel with all the chargers for your your electronic devices including cell/mobile phone, laptop, and more. Also, the U.S. uses Type B electrical plugs, so we suggest you buy the appropriate adapter for your devices upon arrival. Finally, please note that you will receive a free starter SIM card when you get to campus.

Go to the Traveling to Campus page for more details.

Have questions?

Your International New Student Coordinator and current international students are ready to help!

Jake Babb profile photo

Jake Babb
International New Student Coordinator, DSO
Office and WhatsApp phone: +1 509-335-3867
Talk to me on WhatsApp
Schedule a personal appointment with me