Leaving WSU

At some point, you will choose to leave WSU. If you are an F-1 or J-1 student, your departure might be for any of the following reasons:

  • You have completed your academic program
  • You have canceled your enrollment
  • You plan to transfer to another school or program

Whatever your reason, be sure to follow the proper procedures for departure, detailed below.

Before you go

Notify International Student and Scholar Services

If you are ending your program early and returning home, please submit the Early Withdrawal Form.

If you are completing your program and leaving WSU (returning home, doing OPT, or transferring to another university), please submit the Program Completion Form.

If you are transferring to another university please submit the F-1 SEVIS Transfer Out Form.

Meet with an advisor

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires that you notify an advisor of your early withdrawal. Before you submit your cancellation request, schedule an appointment with the international student advisor for your location:

Pullman and online

WSU Everett, Spokane, Tri-Cities, and Vancouver students

You may also join our virtual office between 1 and 3 p.m. weekdays to meet with an advisor via Zoom. 

If you have submitted your cancellation request to the Registrar without contacting your international student advisor, schedule an appointment with an advisor immediately. Failure to discuss your situation with an international student advisor may result in closure to your immigration record for an unauthorized withdrawal.

Do you plan to return?

If you intend to return to WSU in the future, be sure you are familiar with policies governing a leave of absence.

When you depart

If you have completed your academic program

If you have completed your academic program, your options include:

If you are transferring to another school

If you plan to transfer to another school or program within the United States, follow the transfer procedures.

If you are canceling enrollment

Canceling your enrollment affects your immigration status. Once you have submitted your cancellation request to the WSU Registrar and it has been approved, you have 15 calendar days to depart from the United States.

How to cancel enrollment after the semester has begun

First, meet with your international student advisor. After that meeting has occurred, complete a cancellation form.

Exceptions that allow you to stay in the United States after canceling enrollment

Meet with an International Student and Scholar advisor to verify your eligibility for 1 of the following exceptions:

  • Reduced course load authorization
    • You must obtain this authorization from your international student advisor for medical reasons.
  • Summer session enrollment cancellation for continuing students
    • You are a continuing student if you were enrolled in spring semester and plan to continue enrollment in fall semester. Summer enrollment is optional for continuing students. You are allowed to cancel your summer session enrollment and remain in the United States during summer as long as you intend to enroll at WSU in the fall semester.