H-1B Visa Processing, Timelines, Fees

H-1B processing steps

If you are seeking work visa sponsorship from WSU for H-1B status, follow the steps below. You may begin employment only after WSU receives approval from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on your H-1 B petition and completes your Form I-9 (employment authorization).

1. Search for a suitable faculty position

Check job openings in your specialty occupation or contact an academic department directly.

The hiring unit contacts International Student and Scholar Services if it decided to offer you a job. International Student and Scholar Services must process all petitions for employment at WSU and verify the position qualifies for work visa sponsorship.


The hiring unit contacts our office at ip.scholars@wsu.edu and makes a request 4-6 months before your proposed employment start date once an offer is accepted. All documents are submitted in our immigration system (myPassport).

Expedited processing: Note that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) offers an option to have petitions expeditiously processed (15 business days). This option is available only when the petition is ready to be filed and does not expedite other steps needed from our office and U.S. Department of Labor before a petition can be mailed to USCIS. An additional $2,500 USCIS filing fee applies for expedited requests when a petition is ready to be filed.

2. Follow instructions emailed to you from WSU International Programs International Student and Scholar Services

International Student and Scholar Services emails you and the hiring unit step-by-step detailed instructions regarding:

  • Processing timelines
  • Procedures of filing and posting Labor Certification Application (LCA)
  • Costs (the hiring unit must pay relevant H-1B costs)
  • Required documents
  • H-1B visa petition and/or visa stamp application
  • Entering the U.S. in H-1B status

Labor Certification Application (LCA)

ISSS requests a wage determination from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) once all documents are submitted in our immigration system (myPassport). A certification response usually takes 10 business days. If ISSS determines the wage must be determined by DOL through a formal process, it can take 6-8 weeks and no expedited processing is available. We will communicate with foreign national and hiring units if it is decided this the best course of action.

3. Await notification about next steps

WSU International Programs International Student and Scholar Services will contact foreign nationals and hiring units along the process. We file H-1B petitions with USCIS using overnight mail, and notify immediately when any of the following is received:

  • Receipt notice
  • Request for evidence
  • Approval notice



Fees are subject to change with little to no advance notice. Current fees are as follows.

Dependent filing fee paid by H-1B applicant

The USCIS charges a $370 filing fee to change or extend status of H-4 dependents, regardless of the number of dependents. The H-1B beneficiary is responsible for paying this fee, and dependent applications are considered personal. The H-4 application can be filed with the H-1B petition, but ISSS does not assist in its completion. More details on the fee and required documents, as well as the required form for submission, are provided once the case is initiated in our office immigration software (myPassport).

Fees paid by employer

For each H-1B petition, the hiring unit pays these fees to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

  • $460 – Form I-129 Filing Fee
    Charged to all H-1B petitions (change of status, change of employer, extension, amendment, and concurrent employment)
  • $500 – Fraud Prevention and Detection Fee
    Charged only to a U.S. employer’s initial H-1B petition (change of status, change of employer, and concurrent employment). Does not apply to an H-1B extension or amendment petition
  • $2,500 – Optional Premium Processing Fee

Office of International Programs fee

The WSU Office of International Programs will charge the WSU hiring unit a $900.26 scholar service fee for each H-1B petition filed.


If you have questions about H-1B employment at WSU

We are ready to help.

Due to the complexity of certain cases, International Programs may be unable to provide immigration advice and services in every instance. In that event, we will recommend to seek legal counsel from a reputable immigration attorney.

If you have general questions about H-1B visa requirements or H-1B sponsorship by an employer other than WSU, please check with an immigration attorney or your potential H-1B employer.