Pullman WSU campus

Hosting and Hiring Internationals

We support and encourage academic units, programs, faculty, and students to enhance their international activities with our programs, events, and academic exchanges.

The government’s rules and regulations change frequently, and immigration and hiring processes can be highly complex.

International Programs’ International Student and Scholar Services visa and immigration advisors can help you navigate the requirements to host or hire a scholar from abroad. Just call us at 509-335-4508 or email ip.scholars@wsu.edu as soon as possible.

We will set up a case in our immigration web portal (myPassport), which you and your international candidates can use to submit and review documents.

Visa categories

Foreign nationals coming to the United States to study, visit, or work will need to apply for 1 of these visa types.

International students

  • F-1 academic program student
  • J-1 exchange student

International scholars and exchange visitors

  • B-1/B-2 business visitor
  • ESTA visitor
  • J-1 scholar/professor

International workers/employees

  • H-1B specialty worker
  • TN professional worker (Canadian/Mexican citizens only)
  • E-3 specialty worker (Australian citizens only)

Only the U.S. Embassy/Consulate can issue a visa stamp. It is strongly recommended a foreign national apply for a U.S. visa in his/her home country. A U.S. Embassy/Consulate may or may not accept a third-country national (TCN) visa application and it usually takes longer to process.

Exchange visitor categories (J-1 visa)

There are 3 principal categories within the Exchange Visitor Program in which WSU sponsors foreign faculty to come to WSU to engage in collaborative projects.

An exchange visitor cannot be a candidate for a tenure track position or permanent employment.

A professor may primarily conduct teaching, lecturing, observing, or consulting at post-secondary accredited educational institutions and may also conduct research, unless disallowed by the sponsor. Please note that it is appropriate for a professor or research scholar to come to the United States as an exchange visitor only when the underlying purpose of his or her entry is to stimulate international collaborative teaching and research efforts or to promote interchange between research and educational institutions in the United States and other countries.

A research scholar may primarily conduct research, observe, or consult in connection with a research project at post-secondary accredited educational institutions. A scholar may also teach or lecture, unless disallowed by the sponsor.

A professor, research scholar, or person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the United States on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills at post-secondary accredited educational institutions may stay from 1 day to a maximum of 6 months. No extensions beyond the 6 months are permitted.

Not sure which visa your visitor will need?

Try the visa wizard on the State Department’s visa website. Answering a few basic questions about your international candidate should lead you to initial visa information you might need. Always contact our office for further determination of which visa category is most appropriate for hosting or hiring foreign nationals.

Visa resources

U.S. Department of State visa information

You may find these parts of the State Department site particularly helpful:

U.S. government agencies

U.S. immigration resources

Housing & transportation

International Programs does not provide direct housing services. Scholars and/or their host departments arrange for housing.

Living on campus

The university welcomes international scholars in its on-campus housing. A variety of apartment living options are available to accommodate both single students and families. Please check our housing link below for more information.

Living off campus

For assistance in locating other off-campus housing options, contact your WSU host department or see this apartment sources website.