First-Year Students

With more than 95 bachelor’s degrees and flexible study plans and start dates throughout the year, we will help you find the program that best suits your academic goals and student profile.

We offer several routes based on your grades and English proficiency level. But no matter the path, the goal is the same: You end up where you want to be and graduate with a degree from WSU!

Option 1: Apply for traditional admission into WSU bachelor’s degree programs

Students who meet the academic and English language requirements for their degree program are admitted to a 4-year bachelor’s degree program.

Option 2: Apply for additional academic support through the Undergraduate Foundation program.

Students can first receive academic support, personalized advising, and low-tier classes that count toward their degree to help them smoothly transition to university life.

Application process

Step 1: Prepare and submit documents

To be considered for WSU admission as a first-year international student:

  • Complete at least 12 years of school, culminating in an appropriate secondary/high school certificate or external examination.
    • Minimum 2.70 grade point average (GPA) on a 4.00 scale
      • Those with 2.30 to 2.69 GPA can apply for the Undergraduate Foundation program.
    • Preparation in humanities, mathematics, basic sciences, and social sciences
    • The first year or two of university study in some countries may be secondary-level

  • Attach unofficial transcripts to your application or email them to us for review
    • Our International Admissions team can evaluate your academic credentials and admissions eligibility
    • We can also help convert grades to a U.S. grading scale to determine your grade point average based on the Country Scales Guide
    • We still require official transcripts from each school attended
  • Submit official secondary/high school transcripts directly to WSU
    • Official transcripts need to be sent directly from each school you have attended
    • Transcripts should include courses taken, grades received, and certificates earned
  • Provide transcripts in English if possible
    • If not available in English, transcripts will need to be translated
    • An original version of the transcript and the translated copy should be provided

  • Provide a copy of your passport identity page or national identity card via these options:
    • Online application – Upload the document before submitting
    • Email – Scan a copy and send to
    • Postal mail – Send a copy, addressed to our office

Office of International Programs
International Undergraduate Admissions

Bryan Hall 108
PO Box 645115
Pullman, WA 99164-5115

  • Provide a copy of the same documents for every dependent coming with you to WSU
    • Dependents include your spouse and children
    • Acceptable copies for every dependent include passport identity page or national identity card

There are 3 ways to meet WSU’s English language proficiency requirement:

  1. WSU English language programs – You can learn English while you study at WSU!
    1. The Undergraduate Foundation program can prepare international students for study at WSU through non-degree and Academic English coursework
    2. The Intensive American Language Center (IALC) on the Pullman campus also offers English as a Second Language (ESL) courses
  2. Language waiver – You can qualify for a waiver without needing to submit proficiency exam score reports if you meet any of these criteria.
    1. You attended a U.S. high school or a U.S. regionally accredited international high school for at least 3 years.
    2. You attended a U.S. regionally accredited college or university: You completed transferable equivalents of WSU’s English 101 and 102 courses with at least a 3.0 grade point average for each course at the time of application and earned at least 27 semester (or 40 quarter) transferable credits by the first day of classes of the term for which you are applying.
    3. You attended a U.S. regionally accredited college or university: You earned at least 53 semester (or 80 quarter) transferable credits by the first day of classes of the term for which you are applying.
    4. You completed an Associate’s degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university: You have a minimum grade point average of 2.5 by the first day of classes of the term for which you are applying.
    5. You can provide proof of citizenship for: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Overseas Territories, British Virgin Islands, Cameroon, Canada, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Montserrat, Nigeria, New Zealand, Rwanda, Saint Lucia, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, South Africa, South Sudan, Tanzania, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, Uganda, United Kingdom and Northern Ireland, Zambia, or Zimbabwe
    6. You were schooled outside the United States at a school where the language of instruction was English: You can provide an official letter from the school stating English was the language of instruction while you attended is required.
  3. Language proficiency exams – We accept score reports from any exam on the table below.
    • Upload before submitting application, email to us, or send postal mail.
ExamMinimum Score or Grade
ACT17 in English
19 in Reading
AP English Language and Composition3 or better in Language Composition Exam
Cambridge IGCSE English – LanguageC or better in English First Language
Cambridge International AS & A Level English LanguageC or better in English First Language
Cambridge B2 First, C1 Advanced, or C2 Proficiency176
CSATLevel 1
Duolingo English Test105
EikenLevel 1
iTEP 4
Oxford ELLT7
PasswordLevel 6.5
SAT500 in Critical Reading
TOEFL Essentials8

Tests: Cambridge; CSAT: College Scholastic Ability Test; Duolingo; Eiken; Gaokao; IELA: International English Language Test Assessment; IELTS: International English Language Testing System; ITEP: International Test of English Proficiency; LCA: Language Cert Academic; MET: Michigan English Test; Oxford ELLT: English Language Level Test; Password; PTEA: Pearson Test of English Academic; TOEFL Essentials: Test of English as a Foreign Language; TOEFL iBT: Internet-based Test

Each international student who is a citizen of a country other than the United States or not a permanent resident of the United States needs to get the proper visa.

F-1 Visa

For students pursuing full-time study for an undergraduate degree

An F-1 visa allows an international student to enter the United States to study in a language and/or academic program. If you are studying at WSU on an F-1 visa, you must comply with U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requirements, as well as university requirements.

J-1 Visa

For students pursuing short-term exchange programs

A J-1 student visa allows you to participate in study-based exchange programs in the United States. If you are studying in a language and/or academic program at WSU on a J-1 visa, you must comply with regulations of the U.S. Department of State, as well as university requirements.

For questions regarding immigration and visas, contact our International Student and Scholar Services Department:

Read the most current information about WSU’s policy regarding COVID.

WSU reserves the right to modify this policy at any time in accordance with changing public health guidance or directives, best practices, and/or university needs.

Step 2: Complete your application

You have 3 ways to complete your application for WSU admission:

Option 1: Use the WSU application

A non-refundable $70 fee can be paid by credit card or wire transfer. Qualified students may apply for a fee waiver during the application process.

Option 2: Submit through Common App

For more information, the Common App Guide is a helpful resource.

Option 3: Apply via Cialfo

Ask your school counselor if your school is a member and this is an option.

Important DatesFall TermSpring Term
Priority Application DeadlineJanuary 31November 15
Student ArrivalUp to 30 days before semester startsUp to 30 days before semester starts
Semester StartAugustJanuary

Step 3: Secure funding & housing

Certificate of Finances

After you have been admitted, you will need to provide verification of financial support for at least 1 year of non-resident tuition and expenses. This support may be provided through any combination of personal or sponsored funds (such as scholarships). Complete the form that applies to you and return it to us via email or postal mail.


International students are eligible for a variety of scholarship awards from the university.

You are welcome to apply for multiple scholarships. Be sure to check the requirements and deadlines for all scholarships. Some scholarships have different deadlines and require supplementary materials.


International students have many employment opportunities while studying at WSU.

Employment is defined as any service rendered in exchange for money or other benefits for compensation. This includes self-employment, part-time or full-time employment, and work for non-monetary benefits (e.g., free room and board in exchange for babysitting).


Living together at a big university in a small town like Pullman creates strong community bonds. Our town has several housing options that fit your needs!

Contact us

International Admissions
Bryan Hall 108
PO Box 645115
Pullman WA 99164-5115


1-855-219-1317 (toll-free)

International Admissions staff


Jake Babb

New Student Coordinator



Paul Christensen

International Admissions Coordinator



Tyler McPherson

International Admissions Coordinator



Katrice Swope

Student Services Coordinator


Follow WSU International Admissions!