A Global Learning Advisor can help you navigate programs that are best for you and your interests. Global Learning advising is done by major, with each advisor working with students from a specific college. To meet with a Global Learning Advisor, students are required to complete Global Cougs 101. Once completed, you will be able to request an advising appointment.
Global Learning Advisors aim to illuminate education abroad options that best fit your academic, social, and financial needs while also supporting your personal and professional growth. We support you through your program selection, pre-departure, and return from abroad.
What you can expect from advisors
- Timely, honest, and accurate responses to any questions about your program and resources available to you
- Knowledgeable advice on tools and methods to find programs that best fit your needs and interests
- Realistic expectations and preparation strategies regarding concerns you have about traveling abroad
- Communication with other academic and student affairs advisor(s) as needed
What we expect from you
- Have an appreciation of the journey you are embarking on. You are the captain of your ship, and we are here to advise you, but you are ultimately responsible for the success of your overall experience. This includes understanding how coursework can affect your graduation, how financial aid can be used, and what is required of you to enter another country.
- Have a firm understanding of your professional goals, academic needs, and personal interests. This is your experience so what do YOU want out of it?
- Read all communication regarding your education abroad experience and respond timely and professionally.
- Embrace the ambiguity and allow for flexibility. Be willing to explore a previously unconsidered possibility that may lead to your best learning experience.
Learn from the experts
Join us for a drop-in Zoom advising session to learn more about studying abroad.
- Mondays: 2-4 p.m. (in person only)
- Tuesdays: 11 a.m.-1 p.m. (in person only)
- Tuesdays: 3:30-4:30 p.m. (Zoom only)
- Wednesdays: 10-11 a.m. (Zoom only)
- Thursdays: 10:30-11:30 a.m. (Zoom only)
- Thursdays: 4-5 p.m. (Zoom only)
You must first attend a GC101 session before you can make an advising appointment.