Reentering the United States on a J Visa

Required documents

If you travel outside the U.S. as a J-1 scholar, you will need the following documents to reenter the country.

  • Valid passport
  • Valid visa
  • Valid DS-2019 with a recent travel signature from the Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) at the Office of International Programs at WSU.

If your program is not sponsored by WSU, you will need the signature of the Responsible Officer of your J program. Signatures are valid for multiple trips for up to 6 months.

Revalidating or extending your J-1 visa

If your visa is expired and you intend to travel outside of North America, allow sufficient time for revalidation. This process requires:

  • In-person visa interview
  • Gathering documentation
  • Possible background check (takes 1 to 2 weeks or longer)

Trips to Mexico, Canada, and Adjacent Caribbean Islands

If you are planning a trip to Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands, be sure to familiarize yourself with travel regulations and required documents in advance of your trip.