Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Future International Students


Thank you for considering Washington State University. We want to see you on campus someday soon.

Academic Requirements

Secondary School

To be considered for admission to Washington State University as a freshman, a student needs to complete at least 12 years of school, culminating in an appropriate secondary certificate or external examination. (We may consider the first year or two of university in some countries to be secondary level.)

Schooling should include preparation in humanities, mathematics, basic sciences, and social sciences.

WSU requires a minimum grade point average of 2.70 (on a 4.00 scale) for admission as an international freshman.

College or University Transfer

To be admitted to WSU as an international transfer student, you need to complete a minimum of 27 semester credits or at least 1 full year of study at an accredited post-secondary school. WSU requires a minimum grade point average of at least 2.50 (on a 4.00 scale) for admission as an international transfer student.

Transfer Credit for A-Level Examinations

Students who have completed GCE A-Level examinations may qualify for transfer credit. We do not grant college credit for AS-level exams. Visit our Cambridge Credit Chart for more detailed information on which exams qualify for A-level transfer credit. In order to receive transfer credit, applicants must have the awarding body send their official A-level Statement of Results to WSU.

Transfer Your Credits to WSU

Our Transfer Credit Equivalency database can help you determine which of your classes will transfer to WSU. You can also use it to find out which courses you should be taking to meet your future WSU requirements.

I was really interested in communications and Washington State University has a great program in this area. WSU is a great place to network. Transferring to WSU worked out very well!”
Evelyne Mayem

English Proficiency

There are 3 ways to meet the University’s English language proficiency requirement.


Language Proficiency Exams

WSU accepts scores from the following exams. Score reports can be uploaded into the online international undergraduate admission application at time of submission or emailed or sent by postal mail to our office.  Scores must be less than 2 years old.

ExamMinimum Score
TOEFL213 computer-based (CBT)
79 internet-based (iBT)
550 paper-based (PBT)
SAT500 Critical Reading Sub Score
Duolingo English Test
Minimum score of 120


Language Waivers

There are several ways to qualify for a waiver. You will not need to provide an exam score if you meet any of these criteria:

  • Waiver Option A – If you have attended a U.S. high school or an international high school that is regionally accredited in the United States for 3 or more years
  • Waiver Option B – If you have attended a U.S. regionally accredited college or university, have completed the transferable equivalents of WSU’s English 101 and 102 with a 3.0 grade point average for each course at the time of application, and have 27 semester (40 quarter) transferable credits completed by the beginning of classes for the term you are applying
  • Waiver Option C – If you have attended a U.S. regionally accredited college or university and have earned at least 53 semester (80 quarter) hours of transferable credits by the beginning of classes for the term you are applying
  • Waiver Option D – If you have attended a U.S. regionally accredited college or university and have completed an Associate of Arts or Associate of Sciences degree from the college or university with a minimum GPA of 2.5 by the beginning of classes for the term you are applying
  • Waiver Option E – If you are a citizen from one of the following countries: Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, British Guyana, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, Jamaica, Liberia, New Zealand, Trinidad and Tobago, or Zambia (provide proof of citizenship to have waiver applied)
  • Waiver Option F – You were schooled outside the United States at a school where the language of instruction was English (provide an official letter from the school stating English was the language of instruction while you attended)


Learn English at WSU

There are 2 options to improve your English – choose the location and program that is best for you.

INTO Washington State University

The Academic English at INTO Washington State University Center in Pullman, Washington, offers English as a Second Language courses and pathway programs that prepare international students for study at the University by allowing students to complete non-degree coursework along with Academic English.

Apply to INTO WSU

Conditional Admission with Language Study

If you meet all other admission requirements but do not currently meet the English language requirement, you may apply for conditional admission to WSU Tri-Cities.

To be eligible for conditional admission, you will need to apply for admission to WSU and admission to the Intensive American Language Center at WSU Tri-Cities (and be admitted to both).

When you pass Level 5 of the IALC Tri-Cities program, you will fulfill the language proficiency requirement for international undergraduate admission and will be able to begin your degree program at WSU Tri-Cities or any other WSU campus where your major is offered.


WSU International Admissions will review your application for admission using unofficial copies of transcripts from the secondary and post-secondary schools you have attended. We will provide you with an admission decision based on the review of your transcripts and will then require you to provide us with official transcripts prior to your arrival at WSU.

  • Transfer students – If you have attended 1 or more years of college or university studies, you will need to have each college or university you have attended send us transcripts. We will not require secondary/high school transcripts if you have 1 year or more of higher education completed.
  • Freshman students – If you have attended only secondary/high school, you will need to have each secondary/high school you attended send us transcripts.

You may attach your unofficial transcripts to the application, provide them by email, or send official transcripts directly to Washington State University. Official transcripts mean the transcripts need to be sent directly from the school, college, or university you have attended. Transcripts should include courses taken, grade received, and degrees or certificates earned.

Whenever possible, transcripts should be provided in English. If not available in English, transcripts will need to be translated. An original version of the transcript and the translated copy should be provided to WSU International Admissions.

Evaluation and Translation

When you send transcripts to the International Undergraduate Admissions Office at Washington State University, we will complete the credential/transcript evaluation for you. This is an important part of the admission process. Our credential evaluators will review your transcripts from your high school and convert them to a U.S. grading scale to determine your grade point average (GPA). We will use this GPA to determine your admission eligibility. This Country Scales guide is used for evaluation purposes by WSU International Admissions and is supplied for reference. This guide will help you to understand the minimum grades or examination results required for admission for each country. This is not a comprehensive list. If you have questions about the country scales please contact us.

Certificate of Finances

As part of your application, you will need to provide verification of financial support for at least 1 year of tuition and expenses. This support may be provided through any combination of personal or sponsored funds.


Send the completed Certificate of Finances form to the international undergraduate admission department at WSU. Forms are accepted by mail, email, or fax.

Office of International Programs
International Undergraduate Admissions
Kruegel Hall
PO Box 643251
Pullman, WA 99164-3251

Fax: 1-509-335-2982

Materials sent to Washington State University will not be returned.


Provide a copy of the identity page of your passport or national identification card along with your WSU application for admission. You may upload this document into the online application before submitting the application for our review or you can scan and email it to us or send by postal mail.

If any dependents (wife, husband, or child) will be coming to WSU with you, provide a copy of the passport identity page or national identification card for each of them as well.