Employment for WSU Students

Many international students have opportunities to work on campus. If your I-20 was issued by WSU, you are eligible to work on campus while you attend the university.

Check the rules carefully. You will need to comply with strict regulations established by the U.S. government and the state of Washington.

On-campus employment

Here is a brief overview of employment rules for international students.

Visa TypeFall & Spring SemesterSummerNotes
F-120 hours per week when school is in session*40 hours per week*Verification of employment is needed to obtain a Social Security card.
F-2F-2 dependents are not permitted to work------
J-120 hours per week when school is in session*40 hours per week*Must obtain a letter from the J program sponsor authorizing employment.
J-2J-2 dependents' work hours are unrestrictedWork hours unrestrictedMust have a valid Employment Authorization Document issued by Immigration Services.

*The state of Washington limits all enrolled students to 516 hours of on-campus employment in 6 consecutive months. Non-student temporary employees are limited to 1,050 hours in a consecutive 12-month period. Please contact WSU Human Resource Services at 1-509-335-4521 for more information about state regulations.