Begin Your Degree Program

Academic English is an ideal bridge to Washington State University admission.

From Academic English to a WSU degree

Undergraduate studies

Completing Level 5 with at least a “B” average meets the university’s undergraduate English language proficiency requirement for undergraduate studies.

To apply for undergraduate admission as an international student, follow these instructions.

Graduate studies

Completing Level 6 with at least a “B” average meets the university’s language proficiency requirement for many graduate degree programs.

To apply for graduate admission as an international student, follow these instructions.


Coming to WSU from another school or language program in the United States

  1. Request your SEVIS record be transferred to WSU.
  2. Complete the transfer-in form and email, mail, or fax it to the WSU Office of International Programs.
    F-1 Transfer Request
    J-1 Transfer Request
  3. If you plan to travel outside of the United States before beginning study at WSU, request a temporary I-20 for your reentry to the United States.
  4. Attend orientation. After the immigration check-in, the Office of International Programs will issue you a permanent WSU I-20.

Get complete information on U.S. visa regulations and process.



All new students must complete an orientation program to register for classes.

Choose the event and date that fit you best.

  • New Coug Orientation — Most international students attend fall orientation, as it fits within the arrival window specified by U.S. visa regulations
  • Spring Orientation — Held in January for all students starting spring semester
  • New Coug Summer Orientation — 12 orientation sessions are offered in June and July
  • New Coug Orientation for Transfers — Held in March and July for students transferring from another U.S. college or university to WSU

Placement assessments

All new undergraduate students must take the math and writing placement assessments before they attend New Coug Orientation and register for classes. Your results do not affect your admission; they are only to help place you in the most appropriate first-semester classes.

Academic English and International Master’s program students are not required to take the assessments.


The writing placement assessment will enable your advisor to place you in the first-year writing course most appropriate for your ability.

If you have received equivalent credit for English 101 through college transfer or the Advanced Placement (AP) test in English, you do not need to take the writing placement assessment. Honors College students do not need to take the assessment.

The writing placement assessment is offered online and must be completed at least 1 week before your orientation date.


The online math placement assessment is designed to place you in an appropriate mathematics course.

All new students are required to take the assessment. (Students with college-level math credit may be exempt.)

The fee includes a 6-week review module, access to the assessment, and up to 4 retakes. If you take the assessment more than once, WSU will use your best score.

Transfer students

If you are transferring from another U.S. college or university to WSU, we recommend attending Orientation. You can attend any orientation program that is convenient for you.

Plan ahead

If you have attended college or university outside the United States, we recommend that you bring course descriptions and syllabi (translated into English) with you. This will help us identify equivalent WSU courses for transfer credit.

Junior writing portfolio

All WSU students are required to submit 3 samples of their college writing from 3 different courses once they complete 60 semester credits.

Writing samples can come from any college course, if written in English—so keep your papers!

The junior writing portfolio evaluates your readiness for the demands of writing-intensive upper-division courses in your major.

Sponsored students

Your sponsor should provide a Financial Guarantee Letter outlining the sponsorship conditions and financial coverage. Bring a copy of this letter with you to your orientation session.

If your sponsor or home country will be providing health insurance, bring your insurance card (or equivalent) to your orientation.

Within the first week of classes, you will need to meet with an Office of International Programs advisor. Contact IP Fiscal to make an appointment.

Need help?

If you have any questions about any part of the WSU admission process, please contact us. WSU Office of International Programs is here to help.

International Programs

International Admissions
Bryan Hall 108
1-855-219-1317 (toll-free)

Office of International Programs
Washington State University
Bryan Hall 301
PO Box 643251
Pullman WA 99164-3251