Apply for Study Abroad
Before you apply
- You must be up-to-date on your vaccination against COVID-19, per CDC guidelines. Exceptions to this rule are rarely granted.
- You must have a minimum 2.0 GPA.
- You must not have active conduct sanctions.
- You must be a current WSU student in degree- or non-degree-seeking status.
The application process can be time-consuming. Most programs have a limited number of slots available, and many admit students on a rolling basis. Applying early can improve your chances.
Applications are due the semester before your program begins. Deadline dates may vary from program to program. For all programs except WSU faculty-led, you will need to complete 2 separate applications, 1 for WSU and 1 for the program abroad. The deadline for the program abroad application may be different from the WSU application deadline.
Use the MyStudyAbroad search tool to check the application deadline and requirements of the program you will be applying for.
|WSU Application Deadlines||Study Abroad Program|
|January 15||Faculty-led: EMBA (April)|
|February 1||Faculty-led (summer)|
|March 1||All outgoing exchange (summer, fall, and academic year)|
|April 1||Faculty-led (fall)
Incoming Exchange (fall and academic year)
|May 1||Provider (fall and academic year)
Provider: Virtual (summer)
|June 1||Faculty-led proposals (spring and spring break)|
|July 1||Faculty-led proposals (summer)|
|August 1||Peer programs (academic year)
Provider: Virtual (fall)
|September 15||All outgoing exchange (spring and calendar year)
Faculty-led (winter break)
|October 15||Faculty-led (spring)
Faculty-led proposals (fall)
Incoming exchange (spring)
|November 1||Faculty-led (spring break)
Provider (spring and calendar year)
Provider: Virtual (spring)
|December 1||Faculty-led proposals (winter)|
- Applications are due by 11:59 a.m. on the application deadline.
- Application decisions are made within 1 working day after the application deadline.
- All admission decisions for a program will be displayed at the same time, they are not rolling decisions.
- Students found to be ineligible for their program will be notified at the time they are found ineligible.
- Students admitted to their program will be required to either commit or decline 1 week after the program application deadline.
- Faculty-Led programs must meet a minimum number of committed students before being considered officially offered. Students should not make travel plans until after being notified by Global Learning that the program has met that threshold.
- All study abroad students complete a WSU application. Students on partnership, provider, and exchange programs must complete an application for both WSU and their program host.
How to apply
1. Complete WSU’s education abroad application
The application requires physical and online signature documents and questionnaires. You will be able to access the documents and questionnaires, and their instructions, when you begin the online application. Please read each item carefully, sign each document, and turn in physical copies when asked.
Be ready to provide the following, which are necessary to complete your application.
- Photocopy of passport
- Emergency contact information
Be aware of WSU’s education abroad application fee
All students committed to an education abroad program will be charged a $300 Global Learning fee.
Application fees are not charged to your student account until you have committed to your education abroad program and the WSU education abroad program deadline has passed.
2. Complete your program’s non-WSU application
Students using third-party providers or exchange programs must complete this step. Students participating in WSU faculty-led programs complete only the WSU application.
3. Choose courses and obtain advisor’s approval
- Research courses offered by your education abroad program or host institution
- Speak with your academic advisor about which courses to take abroad
- Download and print the course pre-approval form
- List your first choice in study abroad courses and all alternate second courses on the course pre-approval form
- Make an appointment with your academic advisor and be sure to take all available course information (course descriptions and syllabi) with you to this appointment
4. Commit to your WSU education abroad application
Once you have submitted all materials for your application, your application will be moved into the “application submitted” phase. Your application will present a “commit” and “decline” button 1 week after the application deadline. By clicking “commit,” you confirm your participation in the program and accept full financial responsibility for the costs of the program.