The Department of State requires specific medical insurance coverage for all J-1 exchange visitors and their J-2 family members.
Minimum coverage requirementsBelow are insurance requirements for J-1/J-2 visa holders. Each accompanying dependent must be covered by insurance in the same amounts.
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
- Medical evacuation $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
Finding the policy that is right for youEvaluate different insurance products to find one that best suits your circumstances. Consider factors such as:
- If you are married or single
- Whether you participate in sports activities that might raise your risk of injury
- If you need maternity coverage
Take the medical insurance requirement seriouslyWillful failure to maintain required insurance coverage for the duration of the J-1 program is a violation of the law. Your participation in the exchange visitor program could be terminated as a consequence.
Other helpful information
- Health Insurance Basics: How Do I Choose the Right Plan? YouTube video with captioning and transcript available
- How insurance premiums and deductibles work YouTube video with captioning and transcript available
- What Are Deductibles, Coinsurance, and Copays? YouTube video with captioning and transcript available
- What is in- and out-of-network? YouTube video with captioning and transcript available