Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Scholars Abroad

International Travel Registry

Your safety and security during your time abroad is important to us.

The International Travel Registry is a free online registration system that provides Washington State University with a secure means of documenting the international travel plans for its students, scholars, faculty and staff who are abroad during WSU-related, not-for-credit activities.

All WSU departments are responsible for ensuring students document their travel plans through the International Travel Registry.

Before you Register

Prior to beginning your registry, you will need the following items.

  • A copy of your passport (a digital scan is best)
  • Your itinerary, including where you will be staying, personal in-country contact information and exact dates of your travel
  • Contact information for the agency or person(s) you are connecting with abroad
  • Two emergency contacts

Please, plan to complete your registry as soon as you have your international plans in place, with at least two weeks before your travel begins encouraged. Please register your travel even if it is less than two weeks away.

Registration Requirements

While we encourage everyone traveling abroad on WSU-related travel to sign up for the International Travel Registry, it is only required for some.

You are required to register if you are a student taking part in University sponsored, affiliated or promoted international travel that is not-for-academic credit, whether the travel is as an individual or part of a group.

Examples of international activities that require registration include:

  • Conducting academic research in a foreign country
  • Taking part in an internship or noncredit service-learning program
  • Attending an international conference
  • Traveling with a registered student organization (RSO) or student government
  • Traveling with a WSU athletic team, sport club, or other WSU affiliated sport team

WSU faculty and staff are encouraged to register to ensure their safety abroad.

Graduate students taking part in a paid assistantship or time-slip appointments are not required to register their international travel.

If you are studying abroad and earning academic credit, please contact a Global Learning advisor about applying through WSU.


  • Enrollment in the U.S. Department of State’s Safe Travel Enrollment Program (STEP)
  • Receive international travel alerts and emergency assistance abroad
  • WSU documentation of your international travel
  • Access to WSU International Travel and Health Insurance

Travel & Health Insurance

All students registering with the International Travel Registry will be automatically enrolled in comprehensive WSU International Travel and Health Insurance. Insurance cost is billed through myWSU. The amount billed for this coverage is based on the length of your experience abroad with a minimum charge of 14 days.

WSU faculty and staff traveling with students are encouraged to enroll in the same insurance as their students.

WSU provides emergency medical and emergency situation travel insurance to all faculty, staff, graduate student employees and registered volunteers on work-related travel abroad.

More information is available in the Study Abroad Insurance Program handbook (pdf).