The peer mentor program helps new international students acclimate to Washington State University and the United States.
International and domestic students alike are invited to be peer mentors. No international travel or experience is necessary. All you need is a desire to help and willingness to learn.
Both graduate and undergraduate students are encouraged to apply for the program, as the program is divided into two groups. Graduate students will be paired with incoming graduate students to assist with some of the challenges unique to this level of study, while undergraduate students will be paired with incoming undergraduate students.
The goal of the program is to assist international students in their personal, academic, social, and cultural adjustment to studying and living in the United States and at WSU.
Peer mentors are trained to offer personal assistance, information on campus and community resources, and general guidance their international student mentees.
The program will connect you with a group of new international students each term.
Your job—your opportunity—is to learn about their culture, help them feel comfortable with American student culture, and provide general friendship and support throughout the semester.
A brief summary of what you will do:
- Communicate regularly with your mentees via email, telephone, and other methods prior to their arrival in the United States or at WSU (if transferring from another U.S institution). This planning period is essential in creating a smoother transition so mentors can make their biggest impact here.
- Meet your international mentees at New Student Orientation and guide them through parts of the orientation program
- Help them find resources on campus and in the community
Peer mentors must fulfill the following requirements (in addition to the activities listed above):
- Attend peer mentor training
- Maintain regular communication and contact with mentees during the semester
- Attend regular mentor meetings during the semester
- Act responsibly and ethically in their communications and interactions with incoming international students, providing accurate and reliable advice and guidance to students
Our application for Fall 2019 is closed. If you would like to receive updates on future recruitment events, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, academic level, and major.
Thank you for your interest!
We're sorry this form is no longer available for entry.