Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University
International On Campus

Transferring Out of WSU

You can transfer directly from WSU to another U.S. college or university if you must have maintained lawful F-1 status throughout your program of study.

Visa Status

Graduating and Beginning a New Program of Study

After successfully completing your current program of study, you have 60 days to transfer your immigration status or apply for Optional Practical Training.

Transferring Before You Complete Your Program of Study

Before your last day of attendance at WSU, you must submit an “F-1 SEVIS Transfer Out” in myPassport. An advisor in International Student and Scholar Services will identify the transfer release date: the point when WSU transfers your SEVIS record to your new school.

You must begin your study at the new school in the next available regular academic term, and no later than 5 months after the date of your last attendance at WSU.

Transfer Procedure

To transfer to another U.S. school, you must first be admitted to that school as a new student. Please make sure you have an admissions letter that includes your name and the term for which you have been admitted. Then, follow these steps:


Meet with an advisor in International Student and Scholar Services to discuss your transfer plan.


Log in to myPassport and complete the F-1 SEVIS Transfer Out request.


After International Student and Scholar Services receives your transfer out request and admissions letter for your new school, WSU will release your SEVIS record to the new school. Typically, the SEVIS release date will occur after your last day of attendance at WSU, though there is some flexibility in this regard. Once your SEVIS record has been transferred, WSU will no longer have access to your SEVIS record.

 Please note: Our office does not fill out Transfer-In forms from other schools. We can provide a letter stating our policy if requested.


Your new school will create a new I-20 after the SEVIS record has been transferred. Your new school may ask you to complete a transfer clearance form. In this case, a WSU International Student and Scholar Services advisor must sign the form before you are issued a new I-20.

Traveling Outside the United States

If you are traveling outside the U.S. prior to beginning the program at your new school, please be advised that you must re-enter the U.S. with the new school’s I-20. If your SEVIS record has been released to the new school, your WSU I-20 and travel endorsement will be invalid. When re-entering the United States with a “transfer pending” I-20 from your new school, you can use a valid F-1 visa issued for attendance at WSU or previous school.