Sept. 15, 2023 Immigration Advisory

Please read this information as a guide to help you with your studies and maintain valid immigration status. The information below applies to international students at all campuses.


  1. On-campus employment reminder 
  2. Message for Carson College of Business students 
  3. Social Security scam

  1. On-campus employment reminder 

If you are in valid F-1 status, you are eligible to work up to 20 hours a week on campus. Please remember that you cannot work more than 20 hours a week or you will be out of status. No authorization from International Student and Scholar Services is required for on-campus employment for F-1 students.  

If you are in valid J-1 status, you must receive approval from International Student and Scholar Services or your sponsor before you can begin work on campus. Once approved, you are eligible to work up to 20 hours a week. If your previous work authorization has expired, please complete the J-1 On-Campus Employment Authorization Request at  

Off-campus employment is not allowed unless you are authorized for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or have received an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from the U.S. government, which allows you to work off campus. Working off campus without authorization will lead to termination of your I-20 or DS-2019 and accrual of time toward a visa ban, so it is important to follow these rules. 

  1. Message for Carson College of Business students 

If you are considering participating in the Carson College of Business High Impact Learning Experience (HILE) requirement through the Amplifier program, note that enrollment in internship credits is required for international students as well as CPT approval. The internship credit must be approved and enrolled in prior to the start of the semester. So, plan ahead as same-semester CPT will not be approved.  

  1. Social Security scam 

Every semester there are several scam calls where the caller is seeking personal information. The calls include individuals posing as employees of the Social Security Administration (SSA) or federal agents; they are seeking personal information and often threatening future arrest warrants unless the recipient provides information. The information requested includes name, Social Security number, and bank information. Another scam uses an email that is designed to look like it came from Social Security. It provides information about the annual cost-of-living adjustment and directs readers to a website designed to look like Social Security’s site and asks people to update their personal information. THESE ARE SCAMS! DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.  

To combat such scams, please note: Social Security will NOT call or send you an email asking you for your personal information (Social Security number, date of birth, etc.). Do NOT reply to these calls or emails.  

If you are uncertain about the validity of an inquiry reportedly from Social Security, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to verify the request. Here’s what you need to know: 

  • The SSA will NEVER call and ask for your Social Security number. It won’t ask you to pay anything. And it won’t call to threaten your benefits. 
  • Your caller ID might show the SSA’s real phone number (1-800-772-1213), but that’s not the real SSA calling. Computers make it easy to show any number on caller ID.  
  • NEVER give your Social Security number to anyone who contacts you. Do NOT confirm the last 4 digits. Do NOT give a bank account or credit card number to anybody who contacts you asking for it. 
  • Anyone who tells you to wire money, pay with a gift card, or send cash is a scammer.  

You may report suspicious activity or communications claiming to be from the Social Security Administration to the Social Security Fraud Hotline: 

Fraud Reporting Form

If you believe you have been a victim of an IRS impersonation scam, you can report that activity to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration.

The Federal Trade Commission has many resources to help you report and recover from identity theft.    


  • Report it to your local police or the WSU police: 509-335-8548. 
  • Call your local bank and credit card companies to let them know that you have been the victim of a scam and that you provided personal information. 

If you have any questions about the above announcement, please contact International Student and Scholar Services.